Alright, so my suggestion of overriding HttpShardHandler to route users to the
same replica instead of shuffling the replica URL's is doable? What about the
comment in HttpShardHandler then?

      //
      // Shuffle the list instead of use round-robin by default.
      // This prevents accidental synchronization where multiple shards could
get in sync
      // and query the same replica at the same time.
      //
      if (urls.size() > 1)
        Collections.shuffle(urls, httpShardHandlerFactory.r);
      shardToURLs.put(shard, urls);

Instead of shuffling i would then hash the user to the correct replica if
possible.

Thanks,
Markus