I do a brute-force regression test where I read all the documents from
shard 1 and compare them to documents in shard 2. I had to have all the
fields stored to do that, but in my case that doesn't change the size of
the index much.

So, in other words, I do a search for a page's worth of documents sorted by
the same thing and compare them, then get the next page and do the same.