We have two boxes, they are really nice servers, 32 core cpu, 192 G
memory with both RAID arrays and fusion IOs. But each of them running
two instances of Solr, one for indexing and the other for
searching.Search index is on fusion IO card.

Each instance has 11 cores and a small core for making indexing almost realtime.

We have around 300 Million documents and 250G on disk. They are all
metadata . Search queries are very diverse and they do not repeat very
frequently , 40 -60 qps. Before we had two cores each 125 G on disk
and solr was taking long time to get results from those two cores. CPU
use was 90%.

We never had problem with indexing. 50% of all our docs gets updated
every day, so very high indexing rate.