Hi Tim!

Thank you for bringing in some light ;)

I have read your slides (in fact, I had already read them in the last days)
but I'm still missing something.

So, let's see...

As I see (and I may be wrong) Solr's external file fields are some kind of
<docID, score> maps, aren't them? I understand the power of this approach
for popularity scores, like in your example, which don't depend on anything
else but the docID but you don't want to have them stored in the index so
they can be refreshed more often than the documents. The problem here (as
with other regular rec system to my 'lil knowledge) is that we need a
<usrID, &lt;docID, score>> map instead.

The other thing you address is a custom Component. hmm... haven't thought of
that before. Maybe I read your slides when I had less understanding of
Solr's internal mechanishms (though I'm still quite confused). So, alright,
something that receives a parameter with the user ID plus setting a cache so
we don't eventually end in a bottleneck is definitely the direction I have
to follow. But now the problem I find is that I don't want to query my
database just to get categories for a filter. What I want to query is the
user rating for each document so I can combine it with Solr's relevancy
score.

All complaints, I know... :p Could you go -just a bit- further into that
Mahout integration with Solr?

I think I'm going to dive into custom components to get a better
understanding of them and to see if I can find there my holy grail :P

Thanks A LOT!

Regards,
Álvaro