Again - what problems did you face when attempting this with the eDismax parser?
Are you saying you are unhappy with the way eDisMax interprets -foo as NOT foo?
A dash on its own - is treated like a dash.

Your JavaScript code would anyway need to handle URL encoding properly so that
a query input for +foo is sent to Solr as q=%2Bfoo, since the plus otherwise
would be a space :) So simply urlencode the whole user input when constructing
your URL.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com