Indeed! Perhaps the germane part is this, before the failure to
instantiate notice:

Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException: class org.apache.solr.update.DirectUpda
teHandler2
        at java.lang.Class.asSubclass(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.solr.core.SolrResourceLoader.findClass(SolrResourceLoader.
java:432)
        at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.createInstance(SolrCore.java:507)

This suggests that I might be doing something wrong elsewhere in solrconfig.xml.

The possibly relevant parts (my contributions) are these:

<updateRequestProcessorChain name="partial" default="true">
      <processor class="solr.RunUpdateProcessorFactory"/>
      <processor class="solr.LogUpdateProcessorFactory"/>
 </updateRequestProcessorChain>

<updateRequestProcessorChain name="harvest" default="true">
      <processor class="solr.RunUpdateProcessorFactory"/>
      <processor
class="org.apache.solr.update.TopicQuestsDocumentProcessFactory">
        <str name="inputField">hello</str>
      </processor>
      <processor class="solr.LogUpdateProcessorFactory"/>
</updateRequestProcessorChain>

<requestHandler name="/update/harvest"
                  class="solr.DirectUpdateHandler2">
       <lst name="defaults">