: Every doc returned has a score of 1.0 with the join.
: Without join I get scores between 0.40337953 and 0.40530312.

Saying you get scores w/o joining is an apples/oranges comparison -- w/o
joining you have a completley differnet query matching differnet
documents.

what the JoinQParser does is match on a *set* of documents based on
from=to equivilence for documents that match on a nested query -- the
scoring information from that nested query can't be carried over, because
there is no garuntee of a 1-to-1 matching.

The best way to understand this is porbably with the explanation on the
wiki..

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/Join#Compared

>> For people who are used to SQL, it's important to note that Joins in
>> Solr are not really equivalent to SQL Joins because no information
>> about the table being joined "from" is carried forward into the final
>> result. A more appropriate SQL analogy would be an "inner query"

if you truely have a 1-to-1 mapping where you want to map the scores over,
then things would be much faster if you indexed your documents with that
1-to-1 mapping flattened.

-Hoss