I don't have an answer but I have seen this before too. I assumed this is an
issue with the admin UI. In my case the number returned by the query looked
closer to the truth than the one in the UI. I even tried an hard commit and
optimize via admin UI. It didn't help.

If you want to try hard commits, they can be done either via configuration in
solrconfig.xml (specify a frequency) or solrj API or /update URL. All of these
are explained here:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/UpdateXmlMessages#A.22commit.22_and_.22optimize.22

-santoash