On Mar 16, 2013, at 12:30 AM, Gary Yngve <gary.yn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I will upgrade to 4.2 this weekend and see what happens.  We are on ec2 and
> have had a few issues with hostnames with both zk and solr. (but in this
> case i haven't rebooted any instances either)

There is actually a new feature in 4.2 that lets you specify arbitrary node
names so that new ips can take over for old nodes. You just have to do this up
front...

> it's relatively a pain to do the upgrade because we have a query/scorer
> fork of lucene along with supplemental jars, and zk cannot distribute
> binary jars via the config.

There is a JIRA issue for this and it's on my list if no one gets it in before
me.

> we are also multi-collection per zk... i wish it didn't require a core
> always defined up front for the core admin?  i would love to have an
> instance have no cores and then just create the core i need..

You can do this - just modify your starting Solr example to have no cores in
solr.xml. You won't be able to make use of the admin UI until you create at
least one core, but the core and collection apis will both work fine.

- Mark