As solr/README.txt says in the "Instructions for Building Apache Solr from
Source" section: "4.Navigate to the "solr" folder and issue an "ant" command to
see the available options for building, testing, and packaging Solr."

PROMPT$ ant
Buildfile: /Users/sarowe/svn/lucene/dev/branches/branch_4x/solr/build.xml
     [echo] Building solr...

usage:
     [echo] Welcome to the Solr project!
     [echo] Use 'ant example' to create a runnable example configuration.
     [echo] Use 'ant run-example' to create and run the example.
     [echo] And for developers:
     [echo] Use 'ant clean' to clean compiled files.
     [echo] Use 'ant compile' to compile the source code.
     [echo] Use 'ant dist' to build the project WAR and JAR files.
     [echo] Use 'ant documentation' to build documentation.
     [echo] Use 'ant generate-maven-artifacts' to generate maven artifacts.
     [echo] Use 'ant package' to generate zip, tgz for distribution.
     [echo] Use 'ant test' to run unit tests.

Sounds like you want 'ant dist', which will create the .war and put it into the
solr/dist/ directory:

Steve