I'm doing fairly frequent changes to my data-config.xml files on some of my
cores in a solr cloud setup. Is there anyway to to get these files active
and up to Zookeeper without restarting the instance?

I've noticed that if I just launch another instance of solr with the
bootstrap_conf flag set to true, it uploads the new settings, but it dies
because there's already a solr instance running on that port. It also seems
to make the original one unresponsive or at least "down" in zookeeper's
eyes. I then just restart that instance and everything is back up. It'd be
nice if I could bootstrap without actually starting solr.

What's the best practice for deploying changes to data-config.xml?

Thanks, Jim