Yes, removing the absolute value cured the problem, but I feel like there
should be a better option than the "default".  Given multiple collections,
there should be some ability within the API to lay down the directory
structure in a different way e.g. ./collection/shard as opposed to the
current auto naming scheme.  If you wanted to do that now, you would have
to create all the collections, stop everything, modify solr.xmls, move
files, and restart..... painful at best.  Some might say it's not
necessary....

Thanks,
Chris