Then, I would say, you have a bigger problem....

However, you can probably run RegEx filter and replace those known escapes
with real characters before you run your HTMLStrip filter. Or run,
HTMLStrip, RegEx and HTMLStrip again.

Regards,
   Alex.

- Time is the quality of nature that keeps events from happening all at
once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working.  (Anonymous  - via GTD book)