Hi Chris,

Thanks for your response.

My understanding is that GlassFish specifies the keystore as a system property,
but does not specify the password  in order to protect it from
snooping. There's
a keychain that requires a password to be passed from the DAS in order to
unlock the key for the keystore.

Is there some way to specify a
different HttpClient implementation (e.g. DefaultHttpClient rather than
SystemDefaultHttpClient), as we don't want the application to have
access to the keystore?

I have also pasted the entire stack trace below:

2013-04-09 10:45:06,144 [main] ERROR org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter
- Could not start Solr. Check solr/home property and the logs
    2013-04-09 10:45:06,224 [main] ERROR org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore -
null:org.apache.http.conn.ssl.SSLInitializationException: Failure initializing
default system SSL context
    at
org.apache.http.conn.ssl.SSLSocketFactory.createSystemSSLContext(SSLSocketFactory.java:368)
    at
org.apache.http.conn.ssl.SSLSocketFactory.getSystemSocketFactory(SSLSocketFactory.java:204)
    at
org.apache.http.impl.conn.SchemeRegistryFactory.createSystemDefault(SchemeRegistryFactory.java:82)
    at
org.apache.http.impl.client.SystemDefaultHttpClient.createClientConnectionManager(SystemDefaultHttpClient.java:118)
    at
org.apache.http.impl.client.AbstractHttpClient.getConnectionManager(AbstractHttpClient.java:466)
    at
org.apache.solr.client.solrj.impl.HttpClientUtil.setMaxConnections(HttpClientUtil.java:179)
    at
org.apache.solr.client.solrj.impl.HttpClientConfigurer.configure(HttpClientConfigurer.java:33)
    at
org.apache.solr.client.solrj.impl.HttpClientUtil.configureClient(HttpClientUtil.java:115)
    at
org.apache.solr.client.solrj.impl.HttpClientUtil.createClient(HttpClientUtil.java:105)
    at
org.apache.solr.handler.component.HttpShardHandlerFactory.init(HttpShardHandlerFactory.java:134)
    at
com.sun.enterprise.glassfish.bootstrap.GlassFishImpl.start(GlassFishImpl.java:79)
    at
com.sun.enterprise.glassfish.bootstrap.GlassFishDecorator.start(GlassFishDecorator.java:63)
    at
com.sun.enterprise.glassfish.bootstrap.osgi.OSGiGlassFishImpl.start(OSGiGlassFishImpl.java:69)
    at
com.sun.enterprise.glassfish.bootstrap.GlassFishMain$Launcher.launch(GlassFishMain.java:117)
    at
    at
    at
com.sun.enterprise.glassfish.bootstrap.GlassFishMain.main(GlassFishMain.java:97)
    at com.sun.enterprise.glassfish.bootstrap.ASMain.main(ASMain.java:55)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Keystore was tampered with, or password was
incorrect
  at sun.security.provider.JavaKeyStore.engineLoad(JavaKeyStore.java:772)
    at sun.security.provider.JavaKeyStore$JKS.engineLoad(JavaKeyStore.java:55)
    at java.security.KeyStore.load(KeyStore.java:1214)
    at
org.apache.http.conn.ssl.SSLSocketFactory.createSystemSSLContext(SSLSocketFactory.java:281)
    at
org.apache.http.conn.ssl.SSLSocketFactory.createSystemSSLContext(SSLSocketFactory.java:366)

    ... 50 more
Caused by: java.security.UnrecoverableKeyException: Password verification failed
    at sun.security.provider.JavaKeyStore.engineLoad(JavaKeyStore.java:770)
    ... 54 more