Hi Jack;

Due to I am new to Solr, can you explain this two things that you said:

1) when most people say "index size" they are referring to all fields,
collectively, not individual fields (what do you mean with "Segments are on
a per-field basis"  and all fields, individual fields.)
2) more cores might make the worst case scenario worse since it will
maximize the amount of data processed at a given moment