Correct.  With SolrCloud you typically don't need to make this
separation (with ElasticSearch one can designate some nodes as
non-data nodes).  SolrCloud won't necessarily always be faster because
it typically involves sharding and thus a distributed search, while
some non-SolrCloud setups can hold the whole index locally and thus
avoid the network part.

General (and friendly!) comment - you may find it faster/cheaper/more
efficient to just pick the approach and do it, unless you are really
doing this purely to learn the theory.

Otis
--
Solr & ElasticSearch Support