Hi Dave,

This sounds more like a budget / deployment issue vs. anything
architectural. You want 2 shards with replication so you either need
sufficient capacity on each of your 2 servers to host 2 Solr instances or
you need 4 servers. You need to avoid starving Solr of necessary RAM, disk
performance, and CPU regardless of how you lay out the cluster otherwise
performance will suffer. My guess is if each Solr had sufficient resources,
you wouldn't actually notice much difference in query performance.

Tim