From: Toke Eskildsen [mailto:t...@statsbiblioteket.dk]
Sent: Friday, April 19, 2013 5:17 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: SolrCloud loadbalancing, replication, and failover

On Fri, 2013-04-19 at 06:51 +0200, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> Using SSDs for storage can speed things up dramatically and may reduce
> the total memory requirement to some degree,

We have been using SSDs for several years in our servers. It is our clear
experience that "to some degree" should be replaced with "very much" in the
above.

Our current SSD-equipped servers each holds a total of 127GB of index data
spread ever 3 instances. The machines each have 16GB of RAM, of which about 7GB
are left for disk cache.

"We" are the State and University Library, Denmark and our search engine is the
primary (and arguably only) way to locate resources for our users. The average
raw search time is 32ms for non-faceted queries and 616ms for heavy faceted
(which is much too slow. Dang! I thought I fixed that).

>  but even an SSD is slower than RAM.  The transfer speed of RAM is
> faster, and from what I understand, the latency is at least an order
> of magnitude quicker - nanoseconds vs microseconds.

True, but you might as well argue that everyone should go for the fastest CPU
possible, as it will be, well, faster than the slower ones.

The question is almost never to get the fastest possible, but to get a good
price/performance tradeoff. I would argue that SSDs fit that bill very well for
a great deal of the "My search is too slow"-threads that are spun on this
mailing list. Especially for larger indexes.

Regards,
Toke Eskildsen