2) Does this mean that if you have one physical server with one Solr instance,
   and you try to create a collection with numShards=2&maxShardsPerNode=2
   then it will succeed, putting three shards on the same node?

If you then add another node, you still need to move one shard over to the
new node manually, don't you? Is there a JIRA to auto-balance shards?

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com