Sorry for late reply. I was trying to change our indexing pipeline and do
explicit intermediate commits for each core. That turned out to be a bit
more work that I have time for.

    So, I do want to explore hard commits.  I tried
<solr-host>:<port>/solr/<core>/*update?commit=true* . But there is no
impact on Txn Log size, so I feel, it must be getting ignored.

    So can someone tell me, how to do the Hard Commits ?

@Shawn : openSearcher = false is not an option. On Each commit, index will
be replicated to Slaves which will have a searcher on it immediately and
can intermediate state. The longer term and better solution is changing
indexing pipeline and doing explicit commits, but I can't implement that
right now.