We have a 3rd release candidate for 4.3 being voted on now.

I have never tested this feature with Tomcat - only Jetty. Users have reported
it does not work with Tomcat. That leads one to think it may have a problem in
other containers as well.

A previous contributor donated a patch that explicitly flushes a stream in our
proxy code - he says this allows the feature to work with Tomcat. I committed
this feature - the flush can't hurt, and given the previous contributions of
this individual, I'm fairly confident the fix makes things work in Tomcat. I
have no first hand knowledge that it does work though.

You might take the RC for a spin and test it our yourself:
http://people.apache.org/~simonw/staging_area/lucene-solr-4.3.0-RC3-rev1470846/

- Mark