I think you're kinda missing the idea of index time boosting. The
semantic of this (as I remember Chris Hostetter explaining) is
"this document's content is more important than other document's
content".

By doing an index-time boost that's the same for all your documents,
you're effectively doing nothing to the relative ranks of the results.

Not quite sure what Luke is doing here, but using &debugQuery=on
will give you the actual scores of the actual documents. And if you're
doing anything like wildcards or *:* queries, shortcuts are taken
that set the scores to 1.0.

If none of that helps, I'm out of my depth <G>..

Best
Erick