It sounds like you probably need to raise the default 15 sec zk client timeout.
We have it default to a fairly aggressive setting. For high load envs, you may
have to bring it to 30 or 45 seconds.

Also, be sure you are not using a stop the world gc collector - CMS (the
concurrent low pause collector) is best.

- Mark