Depends on your goal here. I'm guessing you're using
atomic updates, in which case you need to use "set"
rather than "add" as the former replaces the contents.
See: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/UpdateJSON#Solr_4.0_Example

If you're simply re-indexing the documents, just send the entire
fresh document to solr and it'll replace the earlier document
completely.

Best
Erick