Hi,

It depends(TM) on what kind of search performance problems you are seeing.
If you simply have so high query load that the server starts to kneal, it will
definitely not help to shard, since ALL the shards will still be hit with
ALL the queries, and you add some extra overhead with sharding as well.

But if your QPS is moderate and you have tons of documents, you may gain
better performance both for indexing latency and search latency by sharding.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com