1. Create a schema that accomodates both types of fields either using
optional fields or dynamic fields.
2. Create some sort of differentiator key (e.g. schema), separately
from id (which needs to be globally unique, so possibly schema+id)
3. Use that schema in filter queries (fq) to look only at subject of items
4. (Optionally) define separate search request handlers that force
that schema parameter (using appends or invariants instead of
defaults)

That should get you most of the way there.

Regards,
   Alex.
at once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working.  (Anonymous  - via GTD
book)