Hi All,

Its Friday 3:00pm, warm & sunny outside and it was a good week. Figured I'd
share some good news.
I work for AOL mail team and we use SOLR for our mail search backend.
We have been using it since pre-SOLR 1.4 and strong supporters of SOLR
community.
We deal with millions indexes and billions of requests a day across our complex.
We finished full rollout of SOLR 4.2.1 into our production last week.

Some key highlights:
- ~75% Reduction in Search response times
- ~50% Reduction in SOLR Disk busy , which in turn helped with ~90% Reduction
in errors
- Garbage collection total stop reduction by over 50% moving application
throughput into the 99.8% - 99.9% range
- ~15% reduction in CPU usage

We did not tune our application moving from 3.5 to 4.2.1 nor update java.
For the most part it was a binary upgrade, with patches for our special use
case.

Now going forward we are looking at prototyping SOLR Cloud for our search
system, upgrade java and tomcat, tune our application further. Lots of fun
stuff :)

Have a great weekend everyone.
Thanks,

Rishi.