thanks for the pointer on the missing logwatcher for logback...i'll take a
look at that.

on the jetty logging side of things i get nearly all the jetty logging but
the initial startup logs which seem to happen prior to the other logging
jars getting loaded. perhaps i need to add a few more statements to my
logback.xml config, but it seems to be getting its naming
YYYY_MM_DD-HHmmssSSS.start.log and pattern from somewhere outside logback.

in the YYYY_MM_DD-HHmmssSSS.start.log i get messages like this

cat 2013_05_15-141100827.start.log

Establishing start.log on Wed May 15 14:11:12 PDT 2013
14:11:15,756 |-INFO in null - Will use configuration file
[resources/logback-access.xml]
14:11:15,768 |-INFO in
ch.qos.logback.access.joran.action.ConfigurationAction - debug attribute
not set
14:11:15,769 |-INFO in
ch.qos.logback.core.joran.action.StatusListenerAction - Added status
listener of type [ch.qos.logback.core.status.OnConsoleStatusListener]
14:11:15,770 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.core.joran.action.AppenderAction -
About to instantiate appender of type
[ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.RollingFileAppender]
14:11:15,770 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.core.joran.action.AppenderAction -
Naming appender as [FILE]
14:11:15,774 |-INFO in c.q.l.core.rolling.TimeBasedRollingPolicy - Will use
gz compression