Ok after I added debug=all to the query, I get:

{
  "responseHeader":{
    "status":0,
    "QTime":11,
    "params":{
      "facet":"true",
      "indent":"true",
      "q":"mm_state_code",
      "debug":"all",
      "facet.field":"sa_site_city",
      "wt":"json"}},
  "response":{"numFound":0,"start":0,"docs":[]
  },
  "facet_counts":{
    "facet_queries":{},
    "facet_fields":{
      "sa_site_city":[]},
    "facet_dates":{},
    "facet_ranges":{}},
  "debug":{
    "rawquerystring":"mm_state_code",
    "querystring":"mm_state_code",
    "parsedquery":"sa_property_id:mm_state_code",
    "parsedquery_toString":"sa_property_id:mm_state_code",
    "explain":{},
    "QParser":"LuceneQParser",
    "timing":{
      "time":4.0,
      "prepare":{
        "time":2.0,
        "query":{
          "time":0.0},
        "facet":{
          "time":0.0},
        "mlt":{
          "time":0.0},
        "highlight":{
          "time":0.0},
        "stats":{
          "time":0.0},
        "debug":{
          "time":0.0}},
      "process":{
        "time":1.0,
        "query":{
          "time":0.0},
        "facet":{
          "time":0.0},
        "mlt":{
          "time":0.0},
        "highlight":{
          "time":0.0},
        "stats":{
          "time":0.0},
        "debug":{
          "time":1.0}}}}}

I have not defined any default facet filed, in the handler in solrconfig.xml
file.
Also, there is plenty of data available and the field sa_site_city

What I am trying to understand is this:

"parsedquery":"sa_property_id:mm_state_code"

I have a field sa_property_id in the schema but i have not defined it in the
query nor in solrconfig.xml, but why is it still evaluated? Any help in
solving this problem will be greatly appreciated.