Instead of "maxCollationTries=0", use a value greater than zero.  Zero means
not to check if the collation will return hits.  1 means to test 1 possible
combination against the index and return it only if it returns hits.  2 tries
up to 2 possibilities, etc.  As you have "spellcheck.maxCollations=8", you'll
probably want maxCollationTries at least that large.  Maybe 10-20 would be
better.  Make it as low as possible to get generally good results, or as high
as possible before the performance on a query with many misspelled words gets
too bad.

Also, use a spellcheck.count greater than 2.  This is as many corrections per
misspelled term you want it to consider.  If using DirectSolrSpellChecker, you
can have it set low, 5-10 might be good.  If using IndexBased- or FileBased
spell checkers, use at least 10.

Also, do not use "onlyMorePopular" unless you indeed want every term in the
user's query to be replaced with higher-frequency terms (even correctly-spelled
terms get replaced).  If you want it to suggest even for words that are in the
dictionary, try "spellcheck.alternativeTermCount" instead.  Try setting it to
about half of "spellcheck.count" (but at least 10 if using IndexBased- or
FileBased spell checkers).

James Dyer
Ingram Content Group
(615) 213-4311