Andy,

> I don't understand why it's taking 7 secs to return highlights. The size
> of the index is only 20.93 MB. The JVM heap Xms and Xmx are both set to
> 1024 for this verification purpose and that should be more than enough.
> The processor is plenty powerful enough as well.
>
> Running VisualVM shows all my CPU time being taken by mainly these 3
> methods:
>
> org.apache.lucene.search.vectorhighlight.FieldPhraseList$WeightedPhraseI
> nfo.getStartOffset()
> org.apache.lucene.search.vectorhighlight.FieldPhraseList$WeightedPhraseI
> nfo.getStartOffset()
> org.apache.lucene.search.vectorhighlight.FieldPhraseList.addIfNoOverlap(
> )

That is a strange and interesting set of things to be spending most of
your CPU time on. The implication, I think, is that the number of term
matches in the document for terms in your query (or, at least, terms
matching exact words or the beginning of phrases in your query) is
extremely high . Perhaps that's coming from this "partial word match" you
mention -- how does that work?

-- Bryan