Here's a link to various transformations you can do
while indexing and searching in Solr:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/AnalyzersTokenizersTokenFilters
Consider
> stemming
> ngrams
> WordDelimiterFilterFactory
> ASCIIFoldingFilterFactory
> phrase queries
> boosting
> synonyms
> blah blah blah

You can't do a lot of these transformations, at least not easily
in SQL. OTOH, you can't do 5-way joins in Solr. Different problems,
different tools....

All that said, there's no good reason to use Solr if your use-case
is satisfied by simple keyword searches that have no transformations,
mysql etc. work just fine in those cases. It's all about selecting the
right tool for the use-case.

FWIW,
Erick