While the schema may be the same, did you also
closely examine solrconfig.xml, particularly cache
settings?

Memory _should_ have gone down significantly,
especially if you're dealing with much textual data
or string types. So I'm guessing something
innocent in your configs is showing this difference.

Try taking a heap dump of each, you should see
something significantly different....

About shipping data back to the client. Well, you
say the documents are very large Solr 4.2
automatically compresses stored data, you might
be spending a lot if time decompressing the data.
You could try turning that option off. Other than
that, has your environment changed in any way
especially your connection to disk? Check the CPU
usage on the server, if you see lots of CPU then
I'd look at compression first. If you see lots of I/O wait,
then disk access is where I'd start looking.

Best
Erick