Hello,

I need your expert advice. I am thinking about running two instances of
solr that share the same datadirectory. The *reason* being: indexing
instance is constantly building cache after every commit (we have a big
cache) and this slows it down. But indexing doesn't need much RAM, only the
search does (and server has lots of CPUs)

So, it is like having two solr instances

1. solr-indexing-master
2. solr-read-only-master

In the solrconfig.xml I can disable update components, It should be fine.
However, I don't know how to 'trigger' index re-opening on (2) after the
commit happens on (1).

Ideally, the second instance could monitor the disk and re-open disk after
new files appear there. Do I have to implement custom IndexReaderFactory?
Or something else?

Please note: I know about the replication, this usecase is IMHO slightly
different - in fact, write-only-master (1) is also a replication master

Googling turned out only this
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.lucene.solr.user/71912 - no
pointers there.

But If I am approaching the problem wrongly, please don't hesitate to
're-educate' me :)

Thanks!

  roman