We have solr cluster which has a few solr 3.5 node. Now we plan to perform
online deployment and upgrade solr node from 3.5 to 4.2. Our plan is to
shutdown one solr node and do the upgrade and restart it, and rolling other
solr nodes. For some reason we will keep a few node running solr 3.5 for 2
more days. It means in 2 days, we will have both solr3.5 node and solr4.2
node to serve search.

My question is can solr 3.5 and solr 4.2 node work together?

Each solr node only has solr application, and there is no dependencies
between solr slaves. we will stop index replication between solr master and
solr slaves.

We also have solr aggregators to distribute search request to solr node, and
we will upgrade solr aggregator too.

Thanks