Aleksey,

It was a less than ideal situation. because we did not have a choice. We
had external systems/scripts to manage this. A new custom implementation is
being built on SolrCloud which would have taken care of most of hose
 issues.

SolrReplication is a hidden once you move to cloud. But it will continue in
the same way if you have a stand-lone deployment.

Noble Paul