I have recently upgraded our application from solr 3.6 to solr 4.2.1, and I
have just started learning about soft commits and partial updates.

Currently I have one indexing node and 3 replicas of the same core, and
every modification goes through a dih delta index. This is usually ok but I
have some special cases where updates should be made visible very quickly.

As I have seen with my first tests - it is possible to send partial updates
and soft commits to each replica and to the indexer - and when the indexer
gets an hard commit every replica is realligned.

Is this the right approach or am I misunderstanding how to use this
feature?

I don't see soft commit propagation to replicas when sending update to the
indexer only: is this true or maybe I haven't changed some configuration
files when porting the application to solr4?

Giovanni