First, please start a new thread when you change the topic,
doing so makes the threads easier to track.....

But what is your evidence that line breaks are stripped? The
stored data is a verbatim copy of the data that went in to the
field, nothing at all is changed. So one of several things is
happening>
1> they may be being stripped by whatever turns the PDF into
a Solr document, SOLARIUM?
2> if you're displaying them in a browser, the line breaks may be
there but just being ignored by the browser.

You could write a very brief SolrJ program or similar and see the
raw output by getting the data directly from your index...

Best
Erick