From: Shawn Heisey
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2013 09:48
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: solr rpm

On 6/20/2013 9:30 AM, adamc wrote:
> I am wondering why there is no official Solr RPM.
> I wish Solr releases rpm like Sphinx does,
> http://sphinxsearch.com/downloads/release/

I agree with you that Solr should be much easier to get running than it
is.  There are some roadblocks, though.

Solr isn't an executable program.  It's a webapp.  It requires a java
servlet container to run.  The Solr *example* has a slimmed down install
of Jetty in it that you can run, but it's just that - an example.  It is
*not* a trivial thing to create an installable package of Solr.

Packages are available for Debian and Ubuntu because those distributions
have maintainers that have done the required work to split our package
into smaller pieces.  They've done a very different job than you would
see if we were to make an installer, because they are integrating Lucene
as a separate dependency for both Solr and for other search packages.

Thanks,
Shawn