Regrettably, visibility is key for us :(  Documents must be searchable as
soon as they have been indexed (or as near as we can make it).  Our old
search system didn't do relevance sort, it was time-ordered (so it had a
much simpler job) but it did have sub-second latency, and that is what is
expected for its replacement (I know Solr doesn't like <1s currently, but
we live in hope!).  Tried explaining that by doing relevance sort we are
searching 100% of the collection, instead of the ~10%-20% a time-ordered
sort did (it effectively sharded by date and only searched as far back as
it needed to fill a page of results), but that tends to get blank looks
from business. :)

One of life's little challenges.