I have spent lot of time in the past day playing with this setup, and made
it work finally, here are few bits of interest:

- solr v40
- linux, java7, local filesystem
- big index, 1 RW instance + 2 RO instances (sharing the same index)

lock is acquired when solr is writing data - if you happen to be starting
your RO instance at this moment and you are using 'native' lock, it will
fail. However, when using RW instance with 'native' lock, and 2 RO
instances 'single' lock, the RO instances can start, but they will
eventually get into troubles too - our index is too big and so when core
RELOAD is called and indexing is under way, the RO instances time out.

core reload, when using 'native' lock, seems to work fine - if you were
lucky and all instances managed to start - HOWEVER, the core is
unresponsive until fully loaded (makes sense), but this is actually
terrible - your search is gone for seconds/minutes

the best setup is as described in my original post - RO instances MUST NOT
commit anything - neither use reload (because during reload solr tries to
acquire lock). Instead, they should just reopen the searcher - i repeat:
you should make sure that nothing is every going to write on the RO
instance. And because there is no public api for reopening the searcher, I
wrote a simple handler which just calls:

req.getCore().getSearcher(true, false, null, false);

when called, the RO instances continue to handle requests using the old
searcher, warming in the background, once ready, the new searcher takes
over [to repeat: i am triggering this refresh from the RW instance, it does
'curl http://foo/solr/myhandler?command=reopenSearcher]

the bad thing: when the RO instance dies (eg OOM error) and the RW is just
in the middle of writing data, you can't restart RO instance (unless you
use lock 'single' or some other lock)

HTH,

  roman