Not a problem. index time boosts are boosts made
_when you're indexing_, not when you're querying
so omitting norms should stil have your query boosting
work.

Also, try adding &debug=all and examining the results,
it'll show you exactly how scores were calculated. It does
take a bit to work though I'll admit...

Best
Erick