Thanks Shawn,

Do you have any feeling for what gets traded off if we increase the
maxMergeCount?

This is completely new for us because we are experimenting with indexing
pages instead of whole documents.  Since our average document is about 370
pages, this means that we have increased the number of documents we are
asking Solr to index by a couple of orders of magnitude. (on the other hand
the size of the document decreases by a couple of orders of magnitude).
I'm not sure why increasing the number of documents (and reducing their
size) is causing more merges.  I'll have to investigate.

Tom