The biggest thing is that the spellchecker has lots of knobs
to tune, all the stuff in
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SpellCheckComponent#spellcheck.collate

TermsComponent, on the other hand, just gives you
what's in the index with essentially no knobs to tune.

So it depends on your goal. Typeahead or spelling
correction? In the first case I'd go for TermsComponent
and the second spell check as an example.

Best
Erick