You're in the right place.  There isn't a solr-dev anyway, it's just dev@lucene.

Velocity utilities... great question.  It's not currently supported.  Only the
ones listed in the code pasted below are available (note the TODO).  The catch
to supporting pluggable "tools" in the Velocity context is being able to pick
up tools from the Solr resource loader.  There is no velocity-tools.xml in use
in Solr's integration of Velocity - that's a higher level usage that wasn't
used because of the Solr resource loader hurdle, if I recall correctly.

If you're interested and savvy in this area, by all means submit a patch that
can load tools more dynamically.

        Erik

    // Velocity context tools - TODO: make these pluggable
    context.put("esc", new EscapeTool());
    context.put("date", new ComparisonDateTool());
    context.put("list", new ListTool());
    context.put("math", new MathTool());
    context.put("number", new NumberTool());
    context.put("sort", new SortTool());
    context.put("engine", engine);  // for $engine.resourceExists(...)