The general advice is to not merge (optimize) unless your
index is relatively static. You're quite correct, optimizing
simply recovers the space from deleted documents, otherwise
it won't change much (except having fewer segments).

Here's a _great_ video that Mike McCandless put together:
http://blog.mikemccandless.com/2011/02/visualizing-lucenes-segment-merges.html

But in general _whenever_ segments are merged, the
resulting segment will have all the data from deleted docs
removed, and segments are merged continually when
data is being added to the index.

Quick-n-dirty way to estimate the space savings
optimize will give you. Look at the admin page for the core and
the ratio of deleted docs to numDocs is about the unused
space that would be regained by an optimize. From there it's
your call <G>...

Best
Erick