No reason why not. You don't even have to keep it in a separate core
if you have some field in your docs that had values
"items" or "taxonomy" you could always use the appropriate fq
when querying...

You could also to this from the app, query the taxonomy core and
do the substitutions in the app layer before sending to your items core.

Assuming the two cores are in the same JVM, it should be easy to query
the second core from a search component or query parser though.

Best
Erick