Same thing happen. It only works with N/2 + 1 zookeeper instances up.

-----Original Message-----
From: Shawn Heisey [mailto:s...@elyograg.org]
Sent: Friday, August 09, 2013 11:22 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: external zookeeper with SolrCloud

On 8/9/2013 9:02 AM, Joshi, Shital wrote:
> At this point, we cannot see admin page or query of any solr nodes unless we
> restart entire cloud and after that everything is great. So we must put
> checks to make sure that N/2 + 1 zookeeper instances are up before we can
> bring up any solr nodes.

I am not really surprised to learn that SolrCloud doesn't start
correctly if you don't have zookeeper running when starting Solr.

I think it's definitely a bug that Solr won't start working correctly
when you start zookeeper.  I have filed an issue:

If you repeat your test while you have one zookeeper node up (but not
N/2 + 1 for quorum), does the same thing happen, or will it work?

Thanks,
Shawn