I create a collection prior to tomcat startup.

-->java -classpath .;zoo-lib/* org.apache.solr.cloud.ZkCLI -cmd upconfig
-zkhost localhost:2181 -confdir solr-conf -confname solrconf1

-->java -classpath .;zoo-lib/* org.apache.solr.cloud.ZkCLI -cmd linkconfig
-zkhost 127.0.0.1:2181 -collection firstcollection -confname solrconf1
-solrhome ../solr_instances/solr

1. Start Zookeeper server
2. Link the configuaration to the collection
3. Check those in ZooClient
4. Start tomcats
5. Create cores and assign to collections.

http://localhost:8080/solr/admin/cores?action=CREATE&name=mycore_sh1&collection=firstcollection&shard=shard1

Are these ok or am I making a mistake?