While I don't have a past history of this issue to use as reference, if I were
in your shoes I would consider trying your updates with softCommit disabled.
My suspicion is you're experiencing some issue with the transaction logging and
how it's managed when your hard commit occurs.

If you can give that a try and let us know how that fares we might have some
further input to share.